Fierce is back! See below for virtual sessions. As we transition through the summer we will increase our offering for additional virtual sessions and, when it is safe, in person sessions.
Thriving Workplace Initiative
TWI has partnered with Fierce Inc.. . .
global leadership development and training company that changes the way people communicate with each other.
Consultants from CLOC have been trained and certified in the Fierce methodology to bring to campus a low-cost and high-value development experience.
Based on the book Fierce Conversations
by Susan Scott, Fierce is recongized as an industry leader in developing individuals and organizations to stop avoiding the difficult conversations preventing us from being our best.
But don't just take our word for it . . .
here are some words from your colleagues about the Fierce Conversations series:
“It was affirming to talk about issues that I struggle with as a manager and to realize that they are common – and tricky.”
“Great hearing other participants respond to the ideas presented – really opened up new ideas and possibilities.”
“I appreciated how the session highlighted many problems that arise in the workplace and talked about ways to handle them.”
How does it work?
- Each session is 2.5 hours
- Sessions are held virtually via Zoom, in Marie Mount (Maryland Room), or in Seneca (Training Room)
- Take Foundations and then at least one module
- Your one-time fee of $100 gives you access to all sessions, materials, workbook, and learning tools
Who should take Fierce Conversations?
- All UMD faculty and staff
- Leaders, supervisors, and individual contributors
- Anyone who can benefit from having a fierce conversation
How do I start?
- Go to training.umd.edu and search on keyword: FIERCE
- Sign up for Fierce Conversations: FOUNDATIONS
- FOUNDATIONS is your first session and a pre-requisite for all future sessions
- Register for one or more additional modules
- Then SHOW UP!
We guarentee you will undo old assumptions, spark new insights, and lay the groundwork for transformation across your team, group, or department. Over time, we will create positive and lasting change across campus!
Current schedule of Fierce Conversations offerings.
Foundations (Pre-Requisite for other modules)
- Take at least one. Take all 5 to maximize your investment.
- Tailor your learning to the types of conversations you wish to improve first
- Gain active and enthusiastic participation at all levels
- Gather diverse, and sometimes competing, perspectives when you’re working toward a decision or project
- Develop buy-in that can break down silos or walls
- Ask questions so that people discover their own answers
- Surface and address issues critical to success
- Provide the push for action or change
- Deepen accountability through clarity of expectations
- Ensure individuals know where they have authority to make decisions and act
- Build trust through transparency and open communication
- Address attitudinal, behavioral, or performance issues
- Confront tough issues with confidence and skill
- Enrich relationships through honest, respectful discussion
- Strengthen and enrich relationships within your team, employees, and colleagues
- Improve performance through consistent, continual feedback
- Become a leader or team member who asks for and welcomes feedback
Register at training.umd.edu; search on keyword-FIERCE CONVERSATIONS